Wednesday, September 16, 2009

THE BURN JOURNALS - BRENT RUNYON
this is such a kick ass fucking book and a true story no less. it's about this kid who keeps trying to kill himself and is fucked up in his head. and one day he sets himself on fire, but it hurts so much that he starts freaking out and calls 911. you follow the months he goes through in intensive care and therepy and all the emotional challenges he faces. it's really a great book, and i'm going to type a peice from it right here, i swear this book is fucking hilarious and just fucking awesome.
"Should I do it?
Yes. Do it.
I strike the match, but it doesn't light. Try again.
I light the match. Nothing happens. I bring it closer to my wrist and then it goes up, all over me, eating through me everywhere. I can't breathe. I'm screaming, "Craig! Craig!"
I fall down. I'm going to die. I'm going to find out what death is like. I'm going to know. But nothing's happening. I stand. I don't know how to stand, but I do, and I turn on the shower. I 'm breathing water and smoke. I unlock the door and open it. My hand is all black. I walk out. There's Craig and Rusty, our dog, next to him. They have the same expression on their faces.
Craig yells something and runs downstairs. I think he's calling 911. I'm following him. He hands me the phone and runs off. There's a woman on the phone asking me questions. I try to tell her what's happened, but my voice sounds choked and brittle. There's something wrong with my voice."
- THE BURN JOURNALS, by BRENT RUNYON, pages 20-21.
"Mom says Maggie is too sick to have surgery. Maggie and I are the same because we both got hurt the same day and we have the same problems, but i'm doing a little better. That's good. I'm winning."
- THE BURN JOURNALS, by BRENT RUNYON, page 35.
this book is a really good read and some of it's really fucked up, while other parts are flat out funny and awkward. read it, just trust me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment